Donating Material for the Collection
Greater Victoria Public Library accepts gifts of books and other materials which enhance our collections. Gifts that match our needs may be added to the collection, subject to the same criteria for selection as purchased materials.
All gifts become the property of the Greater Victoria Public Library. The Library reserves the right to decide the disposition of all gifts received and to refuse unsuitable material. GVPL regrets that we cannot return unused gifts.
Donations not added to the collection may be sold in book sales with the proceeds going to purchase needed items for the library.
We Can Use
Items in excellent condition as follows:
- Books, CDs, DVDs and video games of current interest (up to 3 years old)
- Recently published magazines (up to 2 years old)
- French and world languages – popular fiction & non-fiction (published in the last 3 years)
- Books on the local history of Victoria and lower Vancouver Island (no matter when published)
We cannot accept
Mouldy, yellowed, underlined material and other items as follows:
- Encyclopedias, textbooks or National Geographic magazines
- Cassettes or videos
- CDs, DVDs or video games copied from originals
- Materials downloaded from the Internet
Where and how to donate materials
Call your local branch and speak to a librarian about the items you would like to donate to the library before bringing material to the library.
- Please limit your donations to 1 bag or box at a time.
- Donations left outside the library or at the entrance to the library can NOT be accepted.
- The Library does not have the ability to pick up donations from donor's homes or businesses.
Tax Receipts and Appraisals
A charitable tax receipt will be issued for all donations of materials for the collection that are acceptable (as noted above), are added to the library's collections and exceed the value of $50. The tax receipt will be issued for the fair market value at the date of receipt of the materials. Older materials, which may have a higher intrinsic value, must be accompanied by a valuation in writing (at the donor's expense) by a recognized authroity, such as an antiquarian book dealer.
To recycle paper materials, including books, contact the following locations:
524 David Street
Phone: (250) 386-4342
Hartland Recycling Area at Hartland Landfill
Hartland Avenue, off West Saanich Road
2-6654 Butler Cres, off Keating X-Rd, Saanichton B.C.
Phone: (250) 652-6242