Issued by the City of Victoria and GVPL
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 16, 2017
Victoria, BC – A new library is set to open in the James Bay neighbourhood in early 2018. The community and media are invited to learn more about the new facility and the broad range of services it will provide at an Open House on Saturday, November 4 from 11 a.m.–3 p.m. at the Central Branch at 735 Broughton Street in the Community Room.
Located on the corner of Menzies and Superior Streets, the new library is a partnership of the City of Victoria and the Greater Victoria Public Library system. The City is providing $1.5 million in funding for the new branch, which is situated in the first phase of the new Capital Park residential and commercial development.
“The new library in James Bay is a terrific addition to the regional library system,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “This will be the second branch in Victoria and we’re excited to see it become a dynamic hub for the James Bay community.”
In late 2015, the Greater Victoria Public Library surveyed the public about the features and location of a new library branch in James Bay. The Open House will be an opportunity to thank the community for their input and for participants to view displays and speak with Library and City staff. Refreshments will be provided.
“The new branch in James Bay is a significant community asset for those who live and work in Victoria,” says Maureen Sawa, CEO of the Greater Victoria Public Library. “This will be the 12th branch in the Greater Victoria Public Library system. On behalf of our Library Board and staff, we are proud of what this addition represents: high-quality library service that is responsive to community needs.”
Modern in design with abundant natural light and views of the iconic Legislature building, the 7,500 square-foot branch will feature:
- Wi-Fi enabled outdoor reading space within the Capital Park courtyard and greenspace
- Community living room space and public computers
- Family-friendly children’s area
- Teen area and two bookable study rooms
- Separate, bookable community meeting room with seating for up to 60 people, available after hours
- Laptop bar and mobile charging station
- Varied seating options including lounge reading chairs, bistro seating, high tables and chairs
- Flexible mobile shelving to adapt to community needs
- Automated Materials Handling (AMH) technology for immediate check-in of library returns 24/7
The new branch fulfills the Library Board’s mission to build community and support lifelong learning by providing free access to information, space, tools and expertise. The new facility will provide users with access to all resources in the Greater Victoria Public Library system, including Lynda.com video tutorials and Hoopla digital movies, music, audiobooks and TV shows.
More information about the Open House.
For more information:
Greater Victoria Public Library Media Contact:
Sandra Hudson Communications Inc.