Policy G.3, Board Roles and Structure
The purpose of this policy is to specify how the Greater Victoria Public Library Board (Board) conducts itself as a Board to fulfill its governance responsibilities in accordance with the Library Act (RSBC, 1996, Chapter 264), section 48 (Act) and the Library Operating Agreement 2017 – 2020 (LOA).
The primary roles of the Board are to provide effective governance of the Greater Victoria Public Library (Library), act in the best interests of the Library, and to carry out its responsibilities in a manner that enhances public trust and support.
This policy applies to Board trustees.
Each Board trustee is committed to ensuring business is conducted according to ethical as well as professional and legal standards, as reflected in the Board’s governance, values and operational policies. Such standards include, but are not limited to:
- confidentiality of information;
- conflict of interest;
- compliance with legislation and legal agreements; and
- respectful interactions with
BOARD MEETING MANAGEMENT
The rules and practice of The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure by Alice Sturgis (latest edition), are the basis of the conduct of Board meetings.
The Board has the following officers:
- Chair, elected annually by the Board;
- Vice-Chair, elected annually by the Board;
- CEO, serving as Secretary of the Board; and
- Director of Finance, serving as Treasurer of the
There are two committees of the Board: Finance and Planning and Policy.
Board meetings are open to the public, with the exception of in-camera agenda items. The Board is committed to transparent decision-making processes and to ensuring that the public and municipal councils are informed regarding its business. Board meeting agendas are posted on the Library website in advance of meetings and board meeting minutes and documents are posted following approval by the Board.
Related Policies, Agreements, and Procedural Documents
- Library Act (RSBC, 1996, Chapter 264), section 48
- Library Operating Agreement 2017 – 2020 (LOA)
- The Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure by Alice Sturgis (latest edition)
|Policy Name: G.3 Board Roles and Structure|
|Policy Type: Governance|
|Next Review Date:|
|Last Reviewed: November 7th, 2017|
|First Approved: January 26, 1993|