EMERGING LOCAL AUTHORS COLLECTION
We are now accepting applications for the 2022 Collection.
Greater Victoria Public Library (GVPL) celebrates local authors each year with the Emerging Local Authors Collection. The collection features self-published, independent, and small press books written by local authors.
Print books from the collection are on display at the Central Branch and can be put on hold for pick up at any GVPL branch. The ebooks are available online through BiblioBoard, with unlimited borrowing.
Who can Apply
Each fall, GVPL invites aspiring authors to apply to take part in its Emerging Local Authors Collection. To be eligible to participate, authors or illustrators must live on southern Vancouver Island or have resided there during the time of the publication of their book. The full list of eligibility requirements:
- Author lives on southern Vancouver Island.
- The book was published between 2012-2021.
- Print books are bound with professional quality.
- Ebooks are published in EPUB or PDF format.
- Book has not been featured in the Emerging Local Authors Collection before.
How to Apply
GVPL is accepting applications for the seventh annual Emerging Local Authors Collection from now until January 17, 2022 and will unveil the collection in the spring of 2022.
- Between October 21, 2021 – January 17, 2022, authors can apply at GVPL’s website using the online form.
- Authors will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to submit their print or digital book.
No, but staff can help authors get started with the online form in the library.
Yes, authors just need to submit an application form for each title.
Books are featured for one year (12 months from the time of the spring launch).
- Print books are shelved together on identifiable shelving at the Central Branch.
- Ebooks are available via Biblioboard (patrons can set up a free account to read those ebooks).
About the Past Collections
GVPL’s Emerging Local Authors Collection is here to celebrate Greater Victoria’s rich writing culture. To date, 871 unique titles and 679 authors have been part of the collection, with featured authors ranging in age from six to 90-plus.