On the bus | on the beach | at home | at the library
We challenge you to make the library part of your summer story! Choose from 12 challenges, and earn an entry into our weekly prize draws for every one you complete. Finish the challenges in any order, and repeat as many as you like. Participate on your own or as a family.
Contest runs July 4 to August 31, 2019.
Two Ways to Enter the Weekly Prize Draws
Please make sure your social media privacy settings will allow us to see your submission.
Go to the GVPL Facebook page and look for the Summer Challenge post pinned to the top of the page. Add a comment to the post that shows how you’ve completed the challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.
Example: I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Mark Sakamoto’s Forgiveness on a park bench by the ocean.
Tweet @gvpl your completed challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.
Example: Hey @gvpl, I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Mark Sakamoto’s Forgiveness on a park bench by the ocean.
For every challenge you complete, you’ll be entered into a weekly draw to win a gift certificate to a local bookstore (one prize per person).
Draw prize winners will be announced on Facebook and Twitter.
Around Town and On the Road
1. Find a Little Free Library box around town and take a photo of the box.
2. Read a book while on vacation or staycation. What book? Where are you?
3. At home, on the beach, on the bus, at the library – where does reading take you?
4. Read aloud to someone special. What did you read? Who did you read to?
5. Show us your bookface! Find a book with a face on the front or back cover, hold it in front of your face and take a selfie.
6. Take a shelfie – a photo of what’s on your bookshelf.
7. Borrow a cookbook. Post a picture of your culinary creation. (Bring samples to your local library :))
8. (Armchair) travel the globe: Paris, Cuba, Russia or Tofino? Recommend or share your favorite book set in a far-off (or not far off) place.
9. Borrow a movie, TV show, audiobook or music album using Hoopla, a streaming service for library users. What did you choose? How was it?
10. List five fictional characters you’d like to invite to your book club.
11. If you could step into the world of a book, which would it be? Why?
12. What are you reading right now? Share the first line of the book with us.