On the bus | on the beach | at home | at the library
July 5 to August 31, 2018
We challenge you to make the library part of your summer story. Choose from 18 challenges to complete on social media, and earn an entry into our weekly prize draws for every one you complete. Finish the challenges in any order, and repeat as many as you like. Participate on your own or as a family.
Scroll down to start playing, or pick up a program guide at any GVPL branch.
Around Town and On the Road
1. Find a Little Free Library box around town and take a photo of the box.
2. Read a book while on vacation or staycation. What book? Where are you?
3. Borrow one of our StoryWalk® kits for your next family barbecue or picnic. We have more than thirty titles to choose from. Which one did you choose?
4. At home, on the beach, on the bus, at the library – where does reading take you?
5. Read aloud to someone special. What did you read? Who did you read to?
6. What are you reading right now? Share the first line of the book with us.
7. Show us your bookface! Find a book with a face on the front or back cover, hold it in front of your face, and take a selfie.
8. Take a shelfie – a photo of what’s on your bookshelf.
9. Borrow a cookbook. Share a picture of your culinary creation. (Bring samples to your local library. 😉 )
10. Go create a painting or sketch in the great outdoors, and share a picture of your masterpiece. You can borrow an easel from GVPL’s new Go Create collection, launched at the grand opening of the sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay Branch.
11. Read a book by an author from Greater Victoria, and tell us the title and author. Hint: Browse our Emerging Local Authors Collection at Central Branch.
12. Borrow a movie, TV show, audiobook or music album using Hoopla, a streaming service for library users. What did you choose? How was it?
13. Are you adventurous, creative, curious or an epicurean? Take GVPL’s Pick Your Brain personality quiz, and tell us what your brain type is.
14. Create and share a video of you and your friends saying the name of the sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay Branch. (Hint: Take one of our pronunciation lessons.)
15. List five fictional characters you’d like to invite to your book club.
16. If you could step into the world of a book, which would it be? Why?
17. What book would you love to see as a movie and why?
18. Listen to an audiobook. Which one? How did you like it?
Two Ways to Enter Weekly Prize Draws
Go to the GVPL Facebook page, and look for the Summer Challenge post pinned to the top of the page. Add a comment to the post that shows how you’ve completed the challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.
Example: I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Mark Sakamoto’s Forgiveness on a park bench by the ocean.
Tweet @gvpl your completed challenge, either by posting a photo or answering the question(s) in the challenge. Please indicate the number of the challenge you’ve completed and include #gvplchallenge.
Example: Hey @gvpl, I completed #gvplchallenge 2: I read Mark Sakamoto’s Forgiveness on a park bench by the ocean.
Note: Please make sure your social media privacy settings will allow us to see your submission.