Visiting the Library FAQs
Last edit September 10, 2021 | Subject to change
- Browse a large selection of popular items for all ages.
- Place a hold on items in our vast physical collection.
- Return items.
- Digital collection including ebooks, e-audiobooks, streaming movies and music.
- Public computers.
- Upgrade an online library card for full library access.
- Renew a library card.
- Online programming and events plus limited outdoor programs. Learn more.
- Information and assistance via our phone line (250-940-4875) or through our webform.
GVPL is committed to providing a healthy and safe space for staff and patrons. Safety measures include:
- Mandatory face masks for those aged 12 and older.
- Providing hand sanitizer.
- Signage, floor markings, and visual cues to provide clear direction.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch and common areas.
As of August 25th, 2021, face masks are required inside all GVPL locations for those aged 12 and older. If you forget yours, please ask us for one and we’ll be happy to provide it.
No. You do not have to show proof of vaccination to visit the library.
A BC Vaccine Card is not required to visit the library, but beginning September 13, 2021, proof of vaccination will be required to access certain services, events, and businesses across the province.
Before getting your BC Vaccination Card, you’ll need to know your date of birth, your personal health number (PHN), and the date you got your first or second vaccine dose. More information is available on the province’s Proof of vaccination and BC Vaccination Card website.
If you don’t have a computer or smartphone? Call 1-833-838-2323 (translators available) to have your card mailed to you.
Library staff can help you through the process of obtaining your BC Vaccine Card and can provide options for how to store your BC Vaccine Card. Call us, or drop in and ask for assistance. Library computers and printers are also available. Please note, there may be a wait time for library computers, so advance booking is recommended.
Public internet computers are available at all branches. Call our Customer Service Line at 250-940-4875 to book a space or for more information. A library card is required to book and to log on to library computers. A few things to know about public computers:
- Bookings can be made up to seven days in advance.
- 50-minute computer sessions begin every hour.
- A 15-minute express computer is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Printing is available for patrons who are using a library computer.
- Your time using the computer begins on the hour. You are welcome to arrive a few minutes early to clean the space and get settled. Staff are available to help.
Photocopying and printing are available at all branches; printing is available for patrons who are using a library computer. Currently, there is no cost for printing or photocopies.
Public washrooms are available at all locations.
GVPL is committed to providing a healthy and safe space for staff and patrons while also providing access to the library collection. Although you cannot browse our full collection in person, you can place a hold on any item, in any format, from our collection of over 650,000 physical items. All 12 branches are open so patrons across the system have convenient access at their home branch for holds pick-up, curated browsing collections, customer service support and 24/7 return of library materials in a safe and controlled environment.
If you are interested in a specific title, topic or author and you don’t see it in the browsing collection, you can:
- Talk to staff in the branch. They may be able to access a title for you right away or place a hold on specific titles for pick up later.
- Talk to a librarian about browsing items from a specific collection such as Literacy or World Language books.
- Search for items using our catalogue and place a hold on items you want to borrow. You will be added to the holds queue. When an item becomes available for you to pick up, we’ll contact you by email, phone or text.
Through Niche Academy, GVPL helps you learn all about the library’s online resources and collections with these easy-to-use video tutorials. Learn more.
We are working hard to process holds as quickly as we can, and thousands of holds are made available every day at branch locations. Staff are working with a high volume of holds and many factors influence how and when we process holds. Factors contributing to prolonged wait time include:
- Volume of holds placed while the library was closed.
- Number of patrons ahead of you in the holds queue.
- Transit time of material between GVPL branches.
Each branch location has a selection of popular materials to borrow on the spot. The virtual library features ebooks, e-audiobooks and streaming movies and music and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through GVPL.ca.